httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sascha Schumann <>
Subject RE: APR builds concept broken horribly
Date Mon, 05 Jun 2000 18:41:42 GMT
On Mon, 5 Jun 2000 wrote:

> If the second, the same is done on Unix, so
> the executable doesn't get too large, but we end up having to dynamically
> link to things it doesn't need, which slows things down a bit.

    Are you still advocating enabling Pthreads in APR? That slows
    down things more than a bit, if Pthreads are not needed.

> > That monolithic library is then linked into a windows dso (.dll) and
> > can be bound to any 'bigger' program that uses a more complete subset
> > of the APR.
> >
> > I don't know if an equivilant build logic exists for unix.  But I don't
> > know that you want to haul in 10 seperate 'smaller' dso libraries to
> > load the Apache server, either.
> The solution I would advocate would be to build each individual part of
> APR as a small library, and to build the huge monolithic library.  Then,
> htpasswd just links against the small static libraries that it needs, and
> Apache uses the big one either shared or static (I have no opinion about
> that today).

    If APR is a collection of independent APIs, then the
    mini-library approach works. But if any of these libraries
    depend on another one, we would need to introduce further
    dependencies between the mini-libraries.

    On the other side, the huge-library approach might waste some
    time on program startup. But that is probably negligible.

    - Sascha

View raw message