httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/modules/standard mod_auth_digest.c
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2000 16:45:01 GMT

> > APR does provide feature test macros for all features that can currently
> > be turned on or off.  As more features are toggle-able, more test macros
> > will be introduced.
>
> Yep (I didn't mean to imply that APR has such a bug but instead that
> APR will do the right thing in this regard)

Oh, just checking.

> > I seriously hate having some functions return APR_ENOTIMPL and others
> > cause a compile break.  I will fight this tooth and nail because it
> > changes the rules on developers half-way through the game.  :-)
>
> What developers?  Us?  Which rule got changed depends on which of your
> posts you look at.  You decided that ap_xlate_* should return
> APR_ENOTIMPL if not implemented, and even made sure that it was a
> macro and not a dummy function (not sure why, since we don't generally
> care about the performance of a function which always fails).  I
> wasn't too keen on this at first, feeling that we shouldn't provide
> the dummy function, but after putting calls to ap_xlate_* routines and
> seeing that the right thing happened* even when ap_xlate_* wasn't
> implemented, providing the dummy functions started to feel like the
> Right Thing, giving the user of APR a choice at a fairly small cost to
> APR.

This was my mistake at the beginning of implementing the APR iconv
stuff.  We should have had a feature macro and not implemented it for
those platforms that don't need/want iconv.  I believe my thinking at the
time was that Unix platforms may need to use iconv for translating to
double-byte character sets, so we need to at least have some
implementation.  Of course I could be mis-remembering or in a haze when I
first implemented those things.  All I really remember about it is that I
have less than a week left at IBM and I was the only one with the design
in my inbox.  :-)

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131