httpd-dev mailing list archives

Subject Re: Windows 2.0 MPM design issues
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2000 16:31:22 GMT

> Yes but there is no written down reason _why_ Apache is dual process in
> the Windows version. Why?
> Windows is a multi-threaded OS not process - it looks like what Apache
> is doing would be cleaner and quicker using just threads.  So why is
> there another process used as if it were a thread?

Because the problem with threads is that when one thread causes a GPF, the
whole process goes away.  The nice part about having that first process
around to monitor the second, is that if/when a thread dies for some
unknown reason, we can restart and the User doesn't need to know about it.

Ryan Bloom
406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

View raw message