httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/modules/standard mod_auth_digest.c
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2000 16:09:28 GMT

> > IMO, these ought to be in APR.
> >
> > It has nothing to do with MPMs, and it certainly beats making everybody
> > duplicate the same darn things.
>
> The problem is that I don't think "everybody" will want this. I think
> that most modules will either require shared memory or not care about
> it. And in those cases, it's far better that the module author find
> out at compile-time that the module won't work.
>
> OK, how about an apr_notimpl.h that provides these macros? Then the
> developer can choose.

YUCK!  There are currently 9 feature macros in APR, each of these has say
five or six functions.  Now, with apr_notimpl.h, which is included in some
places but not in others in the same program(!), we have about 45
definitions that will sometimes allow things to compile and sometimes
not.  So, our new goal is to thoroughly confuse developers.  :-)  Oh, and
I can't wait until somebody accidentally puts apr_notimpl.h into httpd.h,
and all of the modules that didn't want it start compiling but not
working.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131