httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/modules/standard mod_auth_digest.c
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2000 16:04:06 GMT

> > #ifndef APR_SHARED_MEMORY
> > #define ap_shmem_malloc(x) (APR_ENOTIMPL)
> > #endif
>
> IMO, these ought to be in APR.
>
> It has nothing to do with MPMs, and it certainly beats making everybody
> duplicate the same darn things.

Greg, you are one of the people who originally argued to get these
function stubs out of APR.

>Subject: Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr APRDesign
>From: Greg Stein (gstein@lyra.org)
>Date: Mon Oct 18 1999 - 18:45:16 EDT
>

>Euh... isn't it safe to break the thing at compile time?
>
>I'd hate to see the case if somebody forgets to check an error value and
>builds a server that fails in mysterious ways.
>
>Subject: Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr APRDesign
>From: Greg Stein (gstein@lyra.org)
>Date: Tue Oct 19 1999 - 22:57:15 EDT
>

>Manoj replied with my exact thoughts. Ditto from me.
>
>I'd rather not see other platforms hampered because Windows has a
>run-time
>only model. I also don't believe that a consistent, available API is a
>proper goal -- it leads to a least-common-denominator system.

We had this exact same argument in October 1999, and it was decided by the
group to fail the compile if a function wasn't available.  I argued
against this at the time, and the original APR didn't have this
feature.  I am loathe to re-implement the APR_ENOTIMPL for all functions,
because it is likely to become and argument again in the future.

The problem here is digest authentication needing to be able to allocate
server-wide memory.  APR makes this possible and even easy.  Basically,
each MPM needs to implement a feature macro that says MPM_IS_MULTI_PROCESS
or not.  The digest auth or the core can then implement
ap_server_wide_alloc using either ap_shm_malloc or malloc or palloc.

I am -1 for having all APR functions able to return APR_ENOTIMPL for all
of the reasons discussed last October.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131