httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject RE: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src CHANGES
Date Thu, 01 Jun 2000 20:30:12 GMT

> > > I'd believe we should use conditionals at compile time, but I won't
> > > scream for it until we near the last beta (in spite of the fact
> > > that Win32 may have shmem by then.
> >
> > Umm, what do you mean? #if over the whole code instead of providing
> > dummies?
>
> That's the gist of what I read from Ryan, yes, though he can
> correct me if I'm wrong.

Yep.

I still like the idea of MPM's that don't have (or need) shared memory
creating their own stub functions that just call the regular memory
allocation functions.  I was going to suggest they call the pool
allocation functions, but they aren't a one for one map, and the regular
allocation functions are.  Or, and this may make the most sense, don't let
platforms not implement the shared memory routines.  Just make platforms
that don't really need the shared memory routines use malloc/free inside
their ap_shm_malloc/ap_shm_free.  The problem with the last design is that
is ties Apache and APR very tightly, which I hate.  :-)

I really think that the best thing to have the MPM's just map the
ap_shm_foo functions to something reasonable for that platform if they
aren't going to implement shared memory or die at compile time.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131