httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Again a symbol to add to httpd.exp for AIX and mod_perl 1.24
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2000 01:43:46 GMT
On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Greg Stein wrote:

> Yes, you would need to check it in three places. It doesn't seem burdensome.
>
>     if (cmd->config_test_only)
>       GvSV_setiv(GvSV_init("Apache::Server::ConfigTestOnly"), TRUE);
>
> If you don't like copying that second line three times, then put that into a
> function or macro.
>
> Global variables are a pain in the ass because of the strong coupling they
> introduce. In this case, there is a strong semantic association with
> cmd_parms, so it makes sense to place it there. That gives Apache much more
> flexibility on its side in the way it sets or clears that value.
>
> It is interesting to note, that your code also makes it seem like the value
> would never change (i.e. setting only when true). Especially if you consider
> placing it into module_init. By placing it into cmd_parms, it allows Apache
> to run a pass with "config test only", followed by a real configuration
> pass.

ok, fine with me.  i backed out the change in mod_perl until this happens.
not only is the current implementation broken under win32 and aix, i've
had problem reports from older 1.3.x users and there's no mmn bump to
check for.  i'll leave it to eric (who originally added it) to sync with
whatever changes happen.