httpd-dev mailing list archives

From James Sutherland <ja...@cam.ac.uk>
Subject RE: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/support htdigest.dsp htpasswd.dsp logresolve.dsp rotatelogs.dsp
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2000 14:58:58 GMT
On Thu, 8 Jun 2000 rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> > > The difference is that rather than just converting the project files, he
> > > has also provided easy scripts to allow people working in 5.0 to use the
> > > project files.  This is the correct solution to a problem that MS created
> > > by not making 6.0 backwards compatable.  :-)
> >
> > No, the correct solution is not to use Microsoft's programs :-)
>
> That's why I'm a Unix programmer.  :-)  But the few times I have had to us
> M$ products, this solution would have been very helpful.

Which one - being able to avoid them, or having the scripts to make them
work? :)

> > More seriously, what else has/can it be compiled with? Being able to use a
> > free compiler (either Borland or Cygnus) would be nice; how does the
> > performance of the resulting code compare, though??
>
> I know OtherBill has said he is continuing to look at the Borland
> stuff.  We required GPL'ed libraries to build with Cygnus' tools, so we
> can't distribute that build environment.  Although, I believe there is a
> link from the web site to Cygnus so that users can grab everything needed.

Urm - last time I looked, we couldn't distribute MSVC either :-)

> I have no clue about the performance issues with this though.  :-(  My gut
> is the performance isn't very good.

Interestingly, someone did a performance test of Java vs C, and the Cygnus
compiler actually beat MSVC on quite a few areas. The one big weakness,
IIRC, was the memory handling being a bit slower.

James.