httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject layer classes (was: filtered I/O ordering)
Date Sat, 03 Jun 2000 21:41:41 GMT
On Sat, 3 Jun 2000, Life is hard, and then you die wrote:
> However, having said that, I find both schemes equally usable, unless
> we can get into having filters tag themselves as to the type of filter
> they are (transport-encoding-filter and content-encoding-filter are
> two examples of what I'm thinking of, because mod_auth_digest needs
> to hook itself precisely between them). If there were such tagging,
> then the hooks stuff would allow folks to just specify, say, which
> content-encoding and which transport-encoding to use, and they would
> never have to worry about (and possibly get it wrong) where and if
> mod_auth_digest would need to hook itself in. Similarly,
> content-encoding filters could just specify that they must come after
> any content-munging filters and content-generators, and the hook
> ordering could take it from there.

Interesting thought here, in terms of classifying the filters:

1) content-generator                (files, CGI, database, etc)
2) content-filter/munger/processor  (SSI, PHP, etc)
3) content-encoding                 (gzip?)
4) digest/message processor?        (mod_auth_digest)
5) transport-encoding               (chunking, SSL)

Is SSL a different class from chunking? Anyone have better names for the
above?

Cheers,
-g

--