httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject recap of filtered I/O
Date Sat, 03 Jun 2000 21:26:16 GMT
On Sat, 3 Jun 2000 rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> Yep, your making perfect sense.  I hope to have a new patch next week
> sometime that addresses all of Greg's points and still uses the hook
> mechanism.  :-)

My current concerns with the hook mechanism:

*) complexity for the module programmer due to iovec[] strategem

*) how would mod_include.c::include_cgi() be written in a hook scheme?

*) how would my insert-100Mb-filter be written?

*) if the filter wants to insert a file, then how do we get the FD
   returned to Apache so that it can use sendfile/TransmitFile?

*) flow control

*) how would "SetFilter SSI PHP" be implemented in the hook scheme?
   (note this implies a table mapping names to functions; also, I believe
    that solving this directive for the hook-based scheme will essentially
    look just like the link-based scheme)

*) hook-based scheme potentially has a larger working set because the
   iovec[] return values must occur on the heap
   (in the link-based scheme, they may occur on the heap or temporarily on
    the stack)

Cheers,
-g

--