httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/modules/standard mod_auth_digest.c
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2000 01:11:03 GMT
On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 05:35:02PM -0700, Greg Stein wrote:
> > On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:
> > > #ifndef APR_SHARED_MEMORY
> > > #define ap_shmem_malloc(x) (APR_ENOTIMPL)
> > > #endif
> >
> > IMO, these ought to be in APR.
> >
> > It has nothing to do with MPMs, and it certainly beats making everybody
> > duplicate the same darn things.
>
> The problem is that I don't think "everybody" will want this. I think
> that most modules will either require shared memory or not care about
> it. And in those cases, it's far better that the module author find
> out at compile-time that the module won't work.
>
> OK, how about an apr_notimpl.h that provides these macros? Then the
> developer can choose.

Which macros? Things like APR_SHARED_MEMORY? Sure.

There are three scenarios:

1) APR provides the functionality. Cool all around.
2) APR does not, I want to know at compile time. Use APR_SHARED_MEMORY.
3) APR does not, I want to know at run-time. Use the APR_ENOTIMPL return
   value.

Arguably, the third scenario can always be rebuilt as (2).

I could see a case where I compile my app, upgrade the APR installed
library, and want to run without a recompile. Is that a real case? Dunno.

If you take (2) to its logical extreme, then APR_ENOTIMPL would never
exist.

Personally, I favor the case where I don't have to sprinkle my app with
#if APR_SHARED_MEMORY.

Cheers,
-g

--