httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/modules/standard mod_auth_digest.c
Date Thu, 01 Jun 2000 22:18:54 GMT
On Thu, 1 Jun 2000 rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> > Heh. Then I'm confused :-)
> >
> > I'd say that APR should stub the things, much like it stubs the XLATE
> > stuff.
> >
> > Well... whatever. :-)  Basic point is that the stubs for ap_shm_* in
> > mod_auth_digest are ugly and a different solution ought to be found.
>
> Actually, the XLATE stuff should be changed to match the rest of APR.  :-)
>
> How do you feel about having MPMs which don't need shared memory
> re-implementing ap_shm_* with malloc/free?

Icky.

The problem is when somebody goes to read the code. They will see ap_shm_
calls in there, and get thrown off on what is really happening.

The MPM is, more than likely, going to need to make changes other than a
simple malloc/free substitution. I'd rather see the SHM (or not) decision
grouped up within the MPM, rather than stub some with ap_shm_* plus some
other bits.  Kind of hard to explain here... :-)

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/