httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: filtered I/O - flow control
Date Thu, 01 Jun 2000 20:52:49 GMT
On Thu, 1 Jun 2000 rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> > Given that all "body output" will come through ap_r*(), we can fix Apache
> > to automatically call ap_send_http_header(). This would allow the content
> > generator and the filters to monkey with the headers right up to the last
> > moment. It also means people don't have to worry about calling
> > ap_send_http_header() any more, which can be a bonus.
>
> This is exactly what I said.

No, it is not exactly what you said.

You mentioned the desire to store the headers into the request_rec, rather
than (accidentally) shoving them through the filter. I stated that the
headers are already there. I then followed up with a further clarification
of the reorganized header-output mechanism (which you quoted above).

Sorry for being argumentative here, but there are times when you say "but
that's what I meant" or "I already said that", yet it was quite clear that
you really didn't mean/say <whatever>. I felt like calling you on it :-)

> > I am not sure how the hook-based mechanism would record state. I presume
> > that it would set "user data" on the request_rec.
>
> The module would be responsible for maintaining state, using functions
> provided by Apache.  Of course, it would be reasonablly simple to add that
> to the loop that calls the state with minimal changes to the macro.

I don't think any new functions or anything is required for the
hook-design to assist modules with maintaining filter state. As I
mentioned, it would easily be handled with the "user data" concept:

   ap_set_userdata(..., r->pool);
   ap_get_userdata(..., r->pool);

Cheers,
-g