httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <>
Subject RE: HTTP compliance and pipelined requests
Date Wed, 28 Jun 2000 20:13:33 GMT
On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> But the standard implies that closing the connection or a zero
> byte chunk are terminal conditions.  It also implies that the
> server can send a pipelined response of the requested files in
> order as a single response (thinking of 10 small picture button
> gifs, or something similar.)  For the -response- to be pipelined,
> the content length must be known?

I'm not sure I understand the whole issue around this.

First, chunked encoding is what is used to get around not having a
content length and allow persistent connections for all responses in
HTTP/1.1, even if the content length isn't known.

However, the way a server handles pipelined requests is simply by
reading requests on a socket, and sending responses.  Simple.  It
doesn't magically combine responses or anything; it can combine
the TCP packets they are in, but that is irrelevant.  The only
thing that pipelining says is that the client can send more requests
in the same persistent connection to the server before it finishes
receiving a prior response.

View raw message