httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject leave Nagle enabled?
Date Sat, 10 Jun 2000 05:38:06 GMT
On 10 Jun 2000 dgaudet@locus.apache.org wrote:

> dgaudet     00/06/09 19:22:15
>
>   Modified:    src/modules/mpm/prefork prefork.c
>   Log:
>   fix nagle

Statement: we should try leaving Nagle enabled on purpose in 2.0,
maybe add a config directive for those that really want to disable
it.

Reasons:

1. why disable Nagle?  All the research I saw does not
   still apply.  The only case I can think of is a situation
   where subsequent requests over the same persistent connection
   arrive with very particular timing and the responses are
   of particular size or interact with the timing in a particular
   way.  I have been passively looking for reasons it should be disabled
   for a couple of years now, and don't recall finding any that are still
   valid.  I think it was discussed on end2end-interest or something once,
   with no one presenting any reasons why it needs to be disabled.  Not
   that that means much, since most TCP guys don't have a clue about HTTP
   and vice versa.

2. leaving it enabled is good, as a foil to stupid modules/CGIs/etc.
   After all, that is really the point of Nagle.  And the way Apache does
   things right now with "unbuffered CGIs" really sucks and is rude and
   unladylike behaviour.

Reaction:

	<fill in this space>