httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Randy Terbush" <>
Subject RE: PLEASE READ: Filter I/O
Date Tue, 27 Jun 2000 00:25:53 GMT
I half expected this issue to be challenged, but I must say that I am
particularly surprised that IBM has a problem with this.

To be completely candid, I find it much more "distasteful" to listen to the
IBM marketing droids tell me "they drive Apache development" and that
"Apache is their open source project". Both statements that I have heard
spoken by IBM marketoids.

Guys. What is wrong with giving attribution that is completely accurate, in
source files where it really matters?

I understand that things are changing a bit for this project WRT having some
paid development efforts helping to move things forward. Must we continue to
waste effort by pushing back on these contributions?

> Bill Stoddard wrote:
> >
> > > *
> > > * This file was originally written by Ryan Bloom for Covalent
> Technologies
> > > * and gifted exclusively to the The Apache Software
> Foundation in June 2000.
> > > */
> > >

> > Precedent has already been set in Apache, but I frankly find
> > this distasteful.
> Agreed; I'd go further and say it's inappropriate.  ISTR about the
> only time such an attributory paragraph has been considered
> acceptable is when the file has been imported from some other
> project.  If it's sole existence is within Apache, which is
> a group effort, a simple 'originally written by Foo B. Ar' is
> more than sufficient.
> --
> #ken    P-)}
> Ken Coar                    <http://Golux.Com/coar/>