httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Keith Wannamaker" <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject RE: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/os/win32 service.c
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2000 22:13:59 GMT
|But if we decide in 2.0 to use this test, on the first production
|release of Apache Server for Windows,
..
|The 1.3.x code _is_ beta quality.  (The quality of support offered by
|the group for Win32 through bugs.apache.org has been even lower.)
..
|and there
|is nothing suggesting that the Win32 port of 1.3.13 is production ready.
..
|in 2.0 for a successful production quality launch,

Ah, I see from whence you come.  You don't consider 1.3
anything but a beta in the context of Win32, despite that it
is a production-quality server being used in the field today.
(Yeah, the removal of WARNING-NT was vetoed.  Don't understand why.)
You see 1.3 as a sandbox in which to try new things, before they
get in production 2.0.

I see 1.3 as a stable, production-quality Win32 server, and 2.0 as a
radically changing/evolving, incomplete construction area.  2.0 is
going through the alpha release cycle, not 1.3.  I think you should
be trying out things there.  Besides, if you use the 1.3 code as a
sandbox, ASF won't have any stable webserver on Win32.

|> You have made over fourteen code commits to 1.3 in the last
|> week alone..

No, I was only counting code commits by you in the last seven days.
I think that commits don't have to touch the core server to be
risky.  In my mind, Win32 is stable as-is, and any untested changes
introduce risk into a stable code base.

|yet.  I don't know that I will.  But if you are about to object
|on the face of it please do so now, before I waste more hours.

I am neither a voting member nor do I have commit access, I am
just offering an opinion.

Keith