httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: summary: issues for my filtering patch
Date Thu, 29 Jun 2000 18:22:41 GMT
rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> The challenge:
>
> Write a filter that needs to set a header based on information found
> in the data passed to the filter.  This data can be ANYWHERE in the
> response, and that must be taken into account.

Um, yeah?  So what?  Why is this suddenly a problem that MUST be
resolved for filters, when it isn't for current content handlers?
Sure, it might bleed core, but "doctor it hurts when I do that."
This strikes me as rather arbitrary; you're adding a requirment
for filters that has never existed before.  I think that's unfair;
if you must set a minimum bar height, say "a filter model is only
acceptable if each filter has no (or only marginally) more impact
than a content-handler doing the same thing."

> it is possible/likely that the thing that makes
> you change the header could come in the last block of data.

Make it even simpler: require the behavioural typification of
a filter that sets response header field X-LastFour to the hex
representation of the last four bytes of content.
--
#ken    P-)}