httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: confused about new ServerName logic
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2000 11:54:35 GMT
Jeff Trawick wrote:

> My current thought...
>
>   I think it is fine to write a log message whenever we determine the
>   server name.  It should be informational (and only to the log) if
>   for all we know it is a reasonable configuration; it should be an
>   alert or error message (and to the terminal) if we use 127.0.0.1.

+1, except make it no more severe than a warning.  Anything more
and we're basically claiming the server won't work right -- which
isn't correct.  It's working right, just not in all the situations
the user probably expects.  But maybe he *does* expect it, so
don't tell him he's done something wrong, just that we're making
a possibly-invalid assumption.
--
#ken    P-)}