httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src CHANGES
Date Thu, 01 Jun 2000 13:56:26 GMT
rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> And no, if the user can't or won't read the manual and error
> string and FAQ and newsgroup, we aren't responsible.

Unfortunately, part of the problem is that the error string is
typically displayed in a DOS window that disappears instantly.

I think the "ServerName 127.0.0.1" is perfectly reasonable --
IFF coupled with another mod that adds a "<VirtualHost _default_>"
container so that the server is usable by all its other names as well.
A sub-optimal solution to be sure, but not the gross hack some
have been declaiming it to be -- just an incomplete hack.

Bill at least did something to stem the flood.  FWIW, I get about
fifty of these lame messages a week.
--
#ken    P-)}