httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <>
Subject buckets vs strings (was: what are the issues?)
Date Fri, 30 Jun 2000 07:48:22 GMT
On Thu, Jun 29, 2000 at 11:30:51PM -0700, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> The point here isn't that this is the only way to implement filters.
> The point is that no other interface can implement them as efficiently.
> Not even close.  Yes, there are cases where string filters are just as
> efficient as any other design, but there is no case in which they are
> more efficient than bucket brigades.

Um. I think it is important to clarify that string-filters are not the only
option in my patch (dunno if you knew this). I *do* have a bucket interface,
and it can process things in the fashion you describe.

I do not have lists of buckets, but that is merely adding a "next" pointer.

The intent is to provide a small, tight, reviewable framework that allows
for the growth into completeness. Want a list of buckets? A "next" pointer
is easy. Want an "End of Stream" bucket? Another bucket type. Want a bucket
that carries its own data to allow for arbitrary lifetimes? Another bucket
type (coded that example last night).

Starting small and lean helps us to understand what is going in. The patch
that I posted for committing is a simple 850 lines. A continuing sequence of
development easily brings us to the position that you are looking for, Roy.

Greg Stein,

View raw message