httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: summary: issues for my filtering patch
Date Wed, 28 Jun 2000 20:41:12 GMT
On Wed, Jun 28, 2000 at 12:43:53PM -0700, rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> This is why I have asked for the module.  When I see that the current
> patch can allow modules to cache the entire request without copying the
> entire request (I don't really even mind if the module keeps the whole
> thing in memory, although a comment explaining how it would flush to disk
> would be nice), I will remove my veto.  I personally do not believe this
> can be done.
>
> I see how this module would be written with the bucket brigade scheme.  I
> do not see it with the current patch.

I can definitely demonstrate this.

It will be easier to outline the structures and the pseudo-code than to
truly fold it into the patch. Why? Simply because it also requires the
delay-header stuff, which I would like to save for a second pass (e.g. check
in patch one, then take your delayed-header stuff and check that in for a
second pass).

Second: since ap_rwrite(), ap_rputs(), etc, do not allow for "passing
memory" along, these will need to copy data regardless. The API that a
content-generator uses for allowing the zero-copy set-aside behavior would
be new. Is that okay?

If I provide the structures and detailed pseudo-code, will that be
sufficient? I can do this today.

Cheers,
-g

--