httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/build rules.mk
Date Wed, 28 Jun 2000 13:11:13 GMT
Sascha Schumann wrote:

> On 27 Jun 2000 rbb@locus.apache.org wrote:
>
> > rbb         00/06/27 15:25:12
> >
> >   Modified:    src/build rules.mk
> >   Log:
> >   Use libtool to compile instead of cc.  If we are going to use libtool,
> >   we may as well go all the way.
>
>     Well, during static builds these operations are equivalent.
>     Unless there is a specific reason to change it, this patch
>     should be reverted.

Just a reminder that libtool has a particularly nasty and sneaky bug.
It's incompatible with older SysV 'ar's which limit names to 15/16
chars. The bug is that it creates the archive and then extracts
files from it and then only operates on those with the .o suffix.
Thing is, if the object file that was added and extracted was
originally this_is_a_very_long_filename.o, then when it's extracted
the filename is truncated, it lacks the .o extension and libtool
doesn't re-add it.

Yeah.... I know...
                "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate??"