httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <>
Subject Re: PLEASE READ: Filter I/O
Date Tue, 27 Jun 2000 00:13:28 GMT
It's always been the standard that acknowledgements in the source
code to actual ASF members (or those in the Apache Group) was
bad form. Even times that people would do things like "Originally
by XXX" was frowned upon. However, if you look through the code,
you'll still see some instance of just that...

First and foremost, CHANGES is where all acknowledgments should be.

But as I understand it, what Ryan has added is something different.
It's stuff that's based/createn/written for "something else" that
is being added to Apache. There is a slight difference. In that
case, I think it's acceptable for there to be a notice after LICENSE
in the file that specifies the code donation. For example, if I
had written ap_cpystrn() for something else and added it to
the code tree, I think it would be OK to say something right after
LICENSE in ap_cpystrn.c saying something to that effect.

I also agree that restraint should be the norm. I also agree
that this is a very slippery slope.

And this is a VERY dangerous discussion to start up... I see nothing
good that can come from this. Let's keep companies out of this.
Everyone here are here as individuals, not employees of companies.
   Jim Jagielski   [|]   [|]
                "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate??"

View raw message