httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <ma...@io.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/modules/mpm/winnt winnt.c
Date Sun, 18 Jun 2000 12:13:56 GMT
On Sat, May 27, 2000 at 02:18:28PM -0700, Greg Stein wrote:
> I think there should be. It isn't like MPMs need configuration merging.
> Seriously: what MPM is going to be hooking *ANY* of the request processing
> hooks? IMO, they shouldn't. Separating the types will clarify that.

I won't necessarily agree or disagree with you on this point; I'll
just propose a scenario, which is suexec.

suexec is a Unix only thing. It uses User and Group directives (soon
to be SuexecUser and SuexecGroup to lessen confusion). These need
merging. In addition, there will be data from request processing that
determines which user suexec decides on. One example is
<http://server/~user/blah.cgi>.

Now, how should this be done properly. The patch I sent out earlier
did this with a unix-only module called mod_suexec and a new
ap_create_privileged_process function that uses the suexec binary. The
hints from mod_userdir would be implemented using the notes table.

However, I've been pondering the possibility that the proper place for
this is unixd, and that means the MPM would be doing this. This is
process management after all. What do you think?