httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <ma...@io.com>
Subject Re: APR file i/o questions
Date Fri, 16 Jun 2000 05:58:45 GMT
On Wed, Jun 14, 2000 at 05:25:05PM -0400, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> Should the read-type functions return APR_EOF at end-of-file on all
> platforms?

+1

> Should ap_ungetc() work on all files, buffered or not?

I'm not a big fan of the whole "ungetc" concept, though we use it a
decent amount in our code now. +1 on removing all ungetc's if it's not
too hard; no opinion on the actual question :)

> Should ap_fgets() on Unix have to check for '\r' *and* '\n' (i.e.,
> think about '\r' at all)?

Naah.

> same question for OS/2 and Win32..

This is what ASCII vs. binary mode in ANSI C FILE *'s is for. Blecch.
I don't want to even *think* about that possibility.

> What about locking within the buffered I/O support?
>
>   (Jeff thinks that by default there should be no locking, but that a
>   flag on ap_open() (APR_MT) can turn it on.

I'm pondering the possibility of an IOL that does nothing but locking
and liking it so far.