httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <>
Subject Re: Performance comparison of mod_cgi and mod_cgid.
Date Tue, 13 Jun 2000 05:03:13 GMT
On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 02:58:51PM -0700, wrote:
> The original problem this module was meant to solve (namely forking a
> threaded process) seems like a much better explanation for the performance
> difference IMHO.

The way to test this would be to run the server in a single-threaded
mode (perhaps with the prefork MPM even) and compare the results. ISTR
that Linux did not have this problem because of its different thread
handling; I think my tests last year confirmed this (though I have no
numbers anymore).

> It seems to me that fork (on all platforms) must create
> all threads and then kill them all to be POSIX compliant.

I don't get this. fork+exec, sure, but why would fork be required to
create and then destroy threads? I can't speak for POSIX, but SUSv2
(which I believe is also POSIX-compatible) doesn't have any evidence
of this:

"A process is created with a single thread. If a multi-threaded
process calls fork(), the new process contains a replica of the
calling thread and its entire address space..."

View raw message