httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: 2.0 config.status
Date Sun, 11 Jun 2000 06:14:12 GMT
On Sat, Jun 10, 2000 at 10:23:05PM -0700, rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> > > in src, i just changed main/Makefile.in and ran ./config.status and it
> > > didn't update main/Makefile.
> > >
> > > isn't that the right thing to do in an autoconf environment when i want to
> > > update a makefile?
> >
> > Yeah, but the current state is that 2.0 is not a "standard" autoconf
> > environment. The Makefiles are generated by a seperate thingy
> > (APACHE_FAST_GENERATE). I'm trying to figure out how to move
> > APACHE_FAST_GENERATE to AC_OUTPUT_COMMANDS, without any luck yet.
>
> I am working periodically on cleaning up the Apache config stuff, so you
> may want to hold off about a week.  I would hate to see us colliding with
> each other.

Um... Ryan: I'd like to offer a bit of Roy's advice here, and suggest that
you're trying to do so many things (and "staking out" those areas of work)
that it might be slowing down contributions from some other people.

Not that I'm suggesting you stop what you're doing :-), but maybe to
reconsider when you ask somebody to hold off on working on something. Are
you truly going to be affecting that particular element at *that* point, or
maybe you can enter your thoughts into STATUS and do the work at a later
point? Or maybe you can go ahead and see what the other person does, then
apply your thinking to code review or followup changes? (personally, I try
to follow this pattern: I know that I'm not going to have the time to make a
change, so I just give a +1 if the direction seems okay, then wait for the
real changes and *then* suggest specific tweaks)

Just a thought. I don't want to slow *you* down, but merely suggesting that
you may want to give pause when you ask others to slow down.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/