httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <ma...@io.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/support htdigest.dsp htpasswd.dsp logresolve.dsp rotatelogs.dsp
Date Sat, 10 Jun 2000 19:01:37 GMT
On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 03:58:58PM +0100, James Sutherland wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Jun 2000 rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> > I know OtherBill has said he is continuing to look at the Borland
> > stuff.  We required GPL'ed libraries to build with Cygnus' tools, so we
> > can't distribute that build environment.  Although, I believe there is a
> > link from the web site to Cygnus so that users can grab everything needed.
>
> Urm - last time I looked, we couldn't distribute MSVC either :-)

I'm not sure if Ryan was trying to say this or not :), but the problem
was that the free version of Cygwin was completely GPLed, including
the POSIX emulation code, so any resulting binaries would be GPLed as
well. Or something like that.

> > I have no clue about the performance issues with this though.  :-(  My gut
> > is the performance isn't very good.
>
> Interestingly, someone did a performance test of Java vs C, and the Cygnus
> compiler actually beat MSVC on quite a few areas. The one big weakness,
> IIRC, was the memory handling being a bit slower.

Well, I'm sure that Cygwin's POSIX emulation code is far superior to
MS's. And I say this having never even looked at Cygwin.