httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Wilfredo Sánchez <wsanc...@apple.com>
Subject ap_os_canonical_filename() and friends
Date Fri, 09 Jun 2000 01:43:16 GMT
  I need to (finally) implement case handling for Mac OS X, where you may
or may not have your document root on an case-insensitive volume.  Given
that OS X will likely ship before using 2.0 is feasible, I'm starting with
1.3 and I'll port to 2.0 afterwards.

  I have a couple of questions...  First, I'm trying to figure out the
differences between these functions:

	ap_os_canonical_filename()
	ap_os_case_canonical_filename()
	ap_os_systemcase_filename()

  If ap_os_case_canonical_filename() is supposed to preserve the input
case, then what is its role?

  Say I have a file /FooBar on disk, and I'm looking for a file "/fooBAR".
 What's the result?  Let's solve for HFS+ (case insensitive but
preserving), DOS FAT (case insensitive), and UFS (case sensitive).  I think
I can fill in for ap_os_canonical_filename(), but I don't know about the
rest:

		Input		ap_ocf()		ap_occf()
ap_osf()
HFS+		/fooBAR		/FooBar		?			?
FAT		/fooBAR		/foobar		?			?
UFS		/fooBAR		/fooBAR		/fooBAR		/fooBAR

  Second, we also have a macro CASE_BLIND_FILESYSTEM, which, given the
above functions, seems broken.  CASE_BLIND_FILESYSTEM us used by the proxy
and autoindex modules, which I'd guess should be using the above functions,
no?

	-Fred

Wilfredo Sanchez, wsanchez@apple.com
Open Source Engineering Lead
Apple Computer, Inc., Core Operating System Group
1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino, CA 94086, 408.974-5174