httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Brian Havard" <bri...@kheldar.apana.org.au>
Subject Re: alpha4
Date Mon, 05 Jun 2000 16:25:40 GMT
On Mon, 5 Jun 2000 09:10:48 -0700 (PDT), rbb@covalent.net wrote:

>> >i tried that first, but apr.h ends up with:
>> >#define APR_HAS_DSO               0
>>
>> This value is getting cached so the --enable-dso is ignored until you
>> remove config.cache.
>>
>> from config.cache:
>> ac_cv_enable_dso=${ac_cv_enable_dso=yes}
>
>That value is only supposed to be cached if it isn't specified, and it is
>specified if you turn on mod_so.  The problem is that the
>APACHE_MODPATH_FINISH is before the APACHE_CHECK_STANDARD_MODULE(so...) in
>config.m4.  Moving this handles the problem with libmod_so.la, but not
>some of the other stuff.  The fix is on the way.

I encountered the problem while building APR standalone. After a distclean
I ran "configure", then "configure --enable-dso". DSO didn't get enabled.
Deleting config.cache and re-"configure --enable-dso"-ing DID enable DSO.

I still don't see what point of disabling DSO support is. Why not just
always include it if it's supported on the build platform? That would make
the problem & complexity go away.

The only part of APR I can see a point in disabling is threads because
thread safeness can incur an expense (mutex locks etc). It's fairly common
for run time libraries to come in single & multi threaded versions.