httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <trawi...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: layer classes (was: filtered I/O ordering)
Date Sun, 04 Jun 2000 16:22:35 GMT
> Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 08:45:05 -0400
> From: Jeff Trawick <trawickj@bellsouth.net>
>
> > Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2000 14:41:41 -0700 (PDT)
> > From: Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org>
> > Interesting thought here, in terms of classifying the filters:
> >
> > 1) content-generator                (files, CGI, database, etc)
> > 2) content-filter/munger/processor  (SSI, PHP, etc)
> > 3) content-encoding                 (gzip?)
> > 4) digest/message processor?        (mod_auth_digest)
> > 5) transport-encoding               (chunking, SSL)
>
> Character set recoding of content* would need to come between your
> "content-filter/munger/processor" and "content-encoding".

Another aspect for completeness is the handling of input (e.g.,
posted) content.  Some of these same filter types are important for
input, and we wouldn't want to have one of the types, say chunking,
implemented as a filter for output but built into buff.c for input.

          Born in Roswell... married an alien...