httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <trawi...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: layer classes (was: filtered I/O ordering)
Date Sun, 04 Jun 2000 12:45:05 GMT
> Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2000 14:41:41 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org>
> Interesting thought here, in terms of classifying the filters:
>
> 1) content-generator                (files, CGI, database, etc)
> 2) content-filter/munger/processor  (SSI, PHP, etc)
> 3) content-encoding                 (gzip?)
> 4) digest/message processor?        (mod_auth_digest)
> 5) transport-encoding               (chunking, SSL)

Character set recoding of content* would need to come between your
"content-filter/munger/processor" and "content-encoding".

*I say "of content" because other character set recoding comes
elsewhere:

1) on an EBCDIC machine: recoding the printable-ascii length field which
   is part of the chunking format (currently this is special logic in
   the code that builds the length field, and is not part of the
   generic recoding support for BUFF operations)

2) on an EBCDIC machine: recoding headers into ASCII (currently this
   happens via the generic recoding support for BUFF operations)

(By the way...  I expect to put in more improvements/fixes to the BUFF
support for recoding.  Don't interpret this as a lack of interest in
the possibility of using a filter to do that :) )

          Born in Roswell... married an alien...