httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Life is hard, and then you die" <ron...@innovation.ch>
Subject Re: layer classes (was: filtered I/O ordering)
Date Sun, 04 Jun 2000 00:55:24 GMT

On Sat, Jun 03, 2000 at 02:41:41PM -0700, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Jun 2000, Life is hard, and then you die wrote:
> > However, having said that, I find both schemes equally usable, unless
> > we can get into having filters tag themselves as to the type of filter
> > they are (transport-encoding-filter and content-encoding-filter are
> > two examples of what I'm thinking of, because mod_auth_digest needs
> > to hook itself precisely between them). If there were such tagging,
> > then the hooks stuff would allow folks to just specify, say, which
> > content-encoding and which transport-encoding to use, and they would
> > never have to worry about (and possibly get it wrong) where and if
> > mod_auth_digest would need to hook itself in. Similarly,
> > content-encoding filters could just specify that they must come after
> > any content-munging filters and content-generators, and the hook
> > ordering could take it from there.
>
> Interesting thought here, in terms of classifying the filters:
>
> 1) content-generator                (files, CGI, database, etc)
> 2) content-filter/munger/processor  (SSI, PHP, etc)
> 3) content-encoding                 (gzip?)
> 4) digest/message processor?        (mod_auth_digest)
> 5) transport-encoding               (chunking, SSL)
>
> Is SSL a different class from chunking? Anyone have better names for the
> above?

Yes, SSL is a separate layer because it's not even part of http.
something like

6) socket-encoding		(SSL)

(Umm, ok, so I'm not great at coming up with names...).

Note that the ordering within a class must still be explicitly configured
(e.g. SSI and PHP may conveivably appear in any order, or you might even
have things like PHP-SSI-PHP, i.e. a filter appearing multiple times).

  Cheers,

  Ronald