httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Life is hard, and then you die" <ron...@innovation.ch>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src CHANGES
Date Sat, 03 Jun 2000 02:52:35 GMT
On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 07:18:40PM -0700, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 05:17:04AM -0700, Life is hard, and then you die wrote:
> > > For multiprocess MPMs on OSes without
> > > shared memory (I haven't paid enough attention to know if there are
> > > any of these), don't implement the functions at all, and modules that
> > > need these functions will fail to build (as they should).
> >
> > No, I don't want mod_auth_digest to fail to build in this case, because
> > it can very well deal with this case and run with reduced functionality.
> > There needs to be a feature macro MPM_HAS_SHARED_MEM or something (where
> > "shared mem" need not be real shared mem in the case of uniprocess
> > MPM's) in addition.
>
> We agree. Your module doesn't *need* these functions :) ; it can check
> the feature macro and handle the situation appropriately.

No. I want to deal with the failure of not getting shared mem or locks
gracefully at run time, because even if the feature is implemented, I
may not get what I want at runtime (ap_shm_init may fail - that gets
logged appropriately and we continue with the functionality disabled),
and hence I have all the run time checks anyway. That makes it pointless
to add compile time checks, unless it's just to print an additional
warning at compile time.

  Cheers,

  Ronald