httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <trawi...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/modules/standard mod_auth_digest.c
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2000 16:29:13 GMT
> From: rbb@covalent.net
> Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 09:06:06 -0700 (PDT)
>
> > > And I continue to insist that returning ENOTIMPL means that you're
> > > hiding the fact that different function sets are implemented on
> > > different platforms.
> >
> > Sure.  But whether or not there is the APR_ENOTIMPL flavor of the
> > function:
> >
> > . it is a bug in APR if APR doesn't provide the appropriate feature
> >   test macro
>
> APR does provide feature test macros for all features that can currently
> be turned on or off.  As more features are toggle-able, more test macros
> will be introduced.

Yep (I didn't mean to imply that APR has such a bug but instead that
APR will do the right thing in this regard)

> I seriously hate having some functions return APR_ENOTIMPL and others
> cause a compile break.  I will fight this tooth and nail because it
> changes the rules on developers half-way through the game.  :-)

What developers?  Us?  Which rule got changed depends on which of your
posts you look at.  You decided that ap_xlate_* should return
APR_ENOTIMPL if not implemented, and even made sure that it was a
macro and not a dummy function (not sure why, since we don't generally
care about the performance of a function which always fails).  I
wasn't too keen on this at first, feeling that we shouldn't provide
the dummy function, but after putting calls to ap_xlate_* routines and
seeing that the right thing happened* even when ap_xlate_* wasn't
implemented, providing the dummy functions started to feel like the
Right Thing, giving the user of APR a choice at a fairly small cost to
APR.

*whether or not the right thing will happen is application-specific

> Ryan

> 406 29th St.
> San Francisco, CA 94131

          Born in Roswell... married an alien...