httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: Review then commit.
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2000 06:29:04 GMT

In article <20000601175254.B3778@manojk.users.mindspring.com> you wrote:
> On Mon, May 29, 2000 at 11:13:49AM -0400, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>> > When would you see this becoming a beta?
>>
>> When I'm sure that no-one is going to say, "We're in beta now, so no
>> more features/innovations."  Aside from that concern, I'm happy for
>> this to go to beta right now.  But if doing so in going to put a
>> lid on fun work, then I'm -1 -- and that's a veto, not a vote.
>
> I'd advocate a system similar to FreeBSD's, where a new CVS module or
> branch is created as soon as a feature freeze is declared. Then, those
> who are eager to continue feature development when others want to get
> a release out the door can do so.
>
> One disadvantage might be that no one will want to work on the stable
> branch, because the development branch will be so much cooler.

Keep in mind, that one usually doesn't have to "work" on the stable
branch. FreeBSD mainly performs merges from the development branch
("MFC" in FreeBSD terminology) to the stable branch. No one is usually
really working exclusively there. Changes are usually always done on the
development branch and if they fit well also with the stable branch, one
merges it over.

So, IMHO the only drawback is that lots of discipline is required to not
forget to merge important fixes and that the merging causes significant
extra time. But IMHO it is worth the effort...

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com