httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Life is hard, and then you die" <ron...@innovation.ch>
Subject Re: Windows 2.0 MPM design issues
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2000 12:42:49 GMT
On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 12:55:31AM -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> This brings up a funky thing about mod_auth_digest.  Once Win32
> supports shared memory (if we do) and once mod_auth_digest
> actually uses it, do we care that much that we want to retain
> the digest authentications/clients across restarts?  My guess
> under WinNT is that we do.

1) No, mod_auth_digest doesn't really need shared-mem on M$, if
   I understood the MPM correctly, as all worker threads are part
   of the same process, and hence malloc/palloc will do fine.

2) I'm not too worried about retaining clients across restarts.
   Things get ugly if they've changed parameters, and so I'm
   happy with just doing a complete free/malloc. Apart from a
   slight extra delay due to an extra round-trip the users won't
   notice.

> But if the child creates the pool and doesn't report back to the
> parent we have an issue.  We are going to need to set up some
> hooking for process/thread model inits, so that the init is
> called in the parent, and the parent always owns the shared
> memory, or the child shares that memory to the parent for use
> past it's lifetime.  Then the connections will just sit there
> when the child has died/been killed and reused in the new child.

Sounds like more work than it's worth.

  Cheers,

  Ronald