httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <trawi...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/modules/standard mod_auth_digest.c
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2000 00:41:53 GMT
> Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 16:31:43 -0700
> From: Manoj Kasichainula <manoj@io.com>
>
> On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 07:40:33PM -0400, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> > I continue to prefer the original model, with all functions
> > being available in APR on all platforms, even if some of
> > them *do* return APR_ENOTIMPL.  I don't like the idea of
> > a portability library that has different function sets on
> > different platforms.
>
> And I continue to insist that returning ENOTIMPL means that you're
> hiding the fact that different function sets are implemented on
> different platforms.

Sure.  But whether or not there is the APR_ENOTIMPL flavor of the
function:

. it is a bug in APR if APR doesn't provide the appropriate feature
  test macro

. it is a bug in the app if it doesn't use the feature test macro
  (but then if there is the APR_ENOTIMPL flavor it can simply respond
  appropriately to APR_ENOTIMPL)

> OTOH, in cases where a function isn't needed, as opposed to being
> unimplementable, I'd probably agree with you.

The APR_ENOTIMPL flavor of the function enables some possible
simplification for app writers that play by the rules.  (Consider that
you gotta check those return codes anyway; you can't just call
ap_xlate_open() and ignore the return code anywhere.)

The APR_ENOTIMPL flavor of the function doesn't do any favors for app
writers that don't play by the rules.

          Born in Roswell... married an alien...