httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <ma...@io.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src CHANGES
Date Thu, 01 Jun 2000 23:57:15 GMT
On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 01:30:12PM -0700, rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> I still like the idea of MPM's that don't have (or need) shared memory
> creating their own stub functions that just call the regular memory
> allocation functions.

+1. In fact, I'd go a step further, and say that MPM's should export
functions to allocate server-wide memory. For multiprocess MPMs on
OSes with shared memory, they would call ap_shm_*. For uniprocess
MPMs, they call malloc/free. For multiprocess MPMs on OSes without
shared memory (I haven't paid enough attention to know if there are
any of these), don't implement the functions at all, and modules that
need these functions will fail to build (as they should).

As the good man said, a level of indirection will solve all your
problems.