httpd-dev mailing list archives

From DavidABr...@netscape.net
Subject Protcol modules and virtual hosting
Date Tue, 20 Jun 2000 19:30:27 GMT
As mentioned in a previous email, I have written a module to speak a different protocol than
HTTP based on the Apache 2.0 echo module. Following a suggestion from the list, I am trying
to listen on a different port for my protocol than HTTP, and want to do this with port-based
virtual hosting. Like the echo module, I didn't define a merge_server_config(), which from
what I read should cause the VirtualHost arguments to win out. I couldn't get it to work properly
(it ignored my turning the module "on" if it was in the virtualserver block), so I went back
to the stock 2.0a4 code and the echo module and hit the same problem. I saw a few bug reports
about VirtualHost problems, but none seem quite the same -- I'm not sure if I am doing something
wrong in my config file (quite possible) or if this is a real problem. The server config I
tried is:

User webuser
Group webgroup
Listen 127.0.0.1:5100
Listen 127.0.0.1:80
LockFile /var/run/apache-lock
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin /usr/scratch/apache/www/cgi-bin
DocumentRoot /usr/scratch/apache/www/htdocs/

<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1:5100>
ErrorLog /usr/scratch/apache/www/logs/error_log2
TransferLog /usr/scratch/apache/www/logs/trans_log2
ProtocolEcho yes
</VirtualHost>

If I move the line "ProtocolEcho yes" out of the VirtualHost block then both ports have echo,
in the block, neither does.

Thanks!

David Bryan

Get your own FREE, personal Netscape Webmail account today at http://home.netscape.com/webmail/