httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "jlwpc1" <jlw...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src CHANGES
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2000 15:37:02 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: <rbb@covalent.net>
To: <new-httpd@apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2000 9:36 AM
Subject: Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src CHANGES

> > > And no, if the user can't or won't read the manual and error
> > > string and FAQ and newsgroup, we aren't responsible.
> >
> > Unfortunately, part of the problem is that the error string is
> > typically displayed in a DOS window that disappears instantly.
>
> But OtherBill has posted a patch that keeps that windows from closing, so
> I think this problem goes away.

Nope.  You must have never worked "user" support lines before. :)

Apache knows what the "user" problem is.
Apache knows how to "fix it" in _many_ ways.

Example:
If Apache pops up a MessageBoxW() (Unicode of course) saying change server.name line #123
to 127.xxxxx and please check your hosts file, etc, then why not have the computer do it on
the okay button or just plain do it, after checking for standalone features.
If Apache is later restarted and standalone features fail - re-adjust.  Silly me it just is
a computer - use it.

Example:
After Apache tries to start after the third time - just do it.

Example:
Ask the user - re-act.

Example:
Whoops ask in what language?  No problem for Windows - use local version.  Apache does put
all text in a seperate file, right?

So what is the real Unix Apache problem here?  :)

JLW