httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@lnd.com>
Subject RE: [patch 1.3.13-dev] Win9x Services
Date Fri, 09 Jun 2000 16:41:03 GMT

This is resolved, the DEFAULTSERVICENAME is used for either install
or uninstall, but not for stop, start and restart...

> True, we might simply use -k start instead to start the service, I
> started to think about this after parsing your comments today.
>
> Does anyone see an issue that -n svc -k start (from anywhere) would
> start the 9x service and detach from the console as it's started?

I thought of one myself, the fact that Apache -k start  simply starts
the Apache service, not a service, on WinNT.  I don't want to change
this behavior in 1.3.13.

Finally, the observations of hokey Registry error messages is also
resolved.

The (final?) patch is attached, I will commit this afternoon if noone
objects.  I am happy with my own results, but especially pleased with
how thoroughly Andrew Braund has tested this patch!

I am STILL looking for testers, however.  Please do -not- complain if
the patch fails to perform to your Win32 requirements after release,
if you don't jump in and try it before we roll 1.3.13!!!

Attached is the patch, plus a zip file for Win32 folks to be able to
drop in the sources and test.  I know it took me a while to get up
to speed with the patch utility, so this should make life easy.

Bill

note: please see the next note for Andrew's doc revisions...