httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <stodd...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: ap_os_canonical_filename() and friends
Date Fri, 09 Jun 2000 13:03:55 GMT
>   I have a couple of questions...  First, I'm trying to figure out the
> differences between these functions:
>
> ap_os_canonical_filename()
> ap_os_case_canonical_filename()
> ap_os_systemcase_filename()
>
>   If ap_os_case_canonical_filename() is supposed to preserve the input
> case, then what is its role?

Check out the version of ap_os_case_canonical_filename in the os/win32 directory. It is
fairly well commented. Apache on Windows uses the case_canonical_filename functions to
account for the file system not being case sensitive, backslashes used in configuration
directives specifying file paths, meaning of periods (dots) in a file paths, etc. FWIW, I
think the function is misnamed. ap_os_canonical_filename() should preserve case and
ap_os_case_canonical_filename() should fold case.

Bill