httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@lnd.com>
Subject RE: Adding Apache Manager ro the Windows binary distributions.
Date Wed, 07 Jun 2000 15:43:52 GMT
No... I'd be happy to see apmgr in the distribution tree as is
under contrib/misc (or a new contrib/win32).  It should still
work (please test :-).  We can provide a link on the FAQ or the
windows.html page.  But to support actual 'services', the job
is both easier and more difficult.

Easier, simply execute "apache -n svcname -k runservice" on
Win9x (it will hide itself, watch for shutdown and all that
jazz...)

Harder; does your patch support actual NT services, or is it
9x only?  That takes a handfull of few calls that can be
borrowed from service.c.

Harder still; there may be several services running at once.
The SCM could enumerate the running services, and we can walk
the registry HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Services tree for
all installed apache services (both 9x and NT).  Testing the
"ImagePath" for [bleh]Apache.exe (where bleh is non-whitespace)
or the same with HKLM/Software/Windows/CurrentVersion/RunServices
on Win9x (values here, not individual keys) should be sufficient.

Under 9x, we will probably need to enumerate the window class
of the hidden monitor window.  If the service's display name
is the window name, we are all set, since we should be able
to grab the running PID from the window itself.