httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@lnd.com>
Subject RE: [Fwd: Got news about the 1.0.0 release ?]
Date Tue, 06 Jun 2000 20:33:58 GMT

If we can avoid adding -more- dependencies upon the msvc
platform, let's do so.

> The original Windows Installer can be found here:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/sdks/platform/wininst.asp

That's what I was considering as 'vanilla'.  Everyone has the
original Windows Installer rolled into their Windows system
(or we could insist on the new, more robust installer, but that's
an option I'd like to avoid just for the size of the download.)

> > I was about ready to roll something vanilla out of what
> > Win32 already does.  Anyone have a lead before I attack?
> I would really love to help in that case, e.g i could
> build the install packages or contrib my installshield
> scripts and stuff i did for OpenSA.

If you will contribute it under the Apache license, we would
be much obliged :-)

We have the installer rewrite script (@@ServerRoot@@->real root) in:

  src/os/win32/installer/installdll

Feel free to build upon it.  Remember that we need msvcrt.dll
into the system directory for release builds, but never want to
overwrite a newer version.  Also, we never overwrite existing
httpd.conf or the other config files!  (But we do replace the
httpd.conf-dist-win version.)

Bill

A thought for 2.0:

wouldn't it be cool if the apache installer would warn of missing,
depreciated and invalid tags in the httpd.conf, and offered to
clean them up (tag for tag, not just wipe the file)?