httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@lnd.com>
Subject RE: Tip for 2.0 Win32 Service code.
Date Fri, 16 Jun 2000 19:27:45 GMT

Good point.  Gentlefolk, where do you propose this --ntservice
flag should be documented for hackers to avoid?

The --ntservice argument to Apache 1.3.13 and greater will call
the Windows NT Service Control Manager to start Apache as an NT
service.  *Only* the Windows NT SCM may invoke Apache with this
option, and it must be the only argument.  If Apache is started
by another process with the --ntservice option, it will fail.
In version 2.0, we expect that this flag may be required.  For
1.3.9, Apache.exe performs an AllocConsole test if no arguments
are passed, and if a console can be allocated it calls the SCM.

If you are creating a service installation program for Apache,
use the quoted, full path to Apache.exe followed by the
"--ntservice", option for the lpBinaryPathName argument to the
Win32 API CreateService() call.  For example;

  CreateService(..., "\"C:\Apache\Apache.exe\" --ntservice", ...)

Note that Apache versions prior to 1.3.13 ignore all command
line arguments, including the --ntservice flag.  They will start
successfully with that flag present, but it has no effect to
bypass the AllocConsole() test.