httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@lnd.com>
Subject RE: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/modules/standard mod_auth_digest.c
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2000 18:58:29 GMT

Sorry, didn't grok you (unusual, that :-)

> The solution that I like best is to have the feature macro
> which the core
> uses to implement a server_wide allocation function, using
> either palloc
> or malloc or ap_shm_malloc depending on the context and MPM.

I don't believe palloc/malloc map well to shm.  But show us
otherwise if you like.

> > But I have one question about ap_shm_ functions... do we have
> > any implicit/explicit assumption that the memory in process A
> > is at the same physical address as process B?  This is a HUGE
> > question under Win32, and probably other hybrid kernels.
>
> No, that assumption should never be made, because it simply
> isn't valid in most shared memory implementations.  I believe
> Apache makes that assumption (althought I could be wrong).
> I am 99.999% sure that APR makes no such assumption.

Yes, but it's not APR that does anything with the shm, other than
expose it :-)  Sounds like this will be doable in Win32 after all.

I guess if that's the case, I'd like to see us change the args or
return type (typedefed to void *) to make this explicitly clear,
perhaps have the shm_open return a base pointer and shm_malloc
and shm_calloc return an offset type to that base.