httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@lnd.com>
Subject RE: APR builds concept broken horribly
Date Mon, 05 Jun 2000 18:16:38 GMT

Yes, Win32 'suffered' the same problem.

The short term solution has been to build APR into a monolithic library.
Any object can be linked out of that library for standalone apps, such
as htpasswd.  Few objects are used in these cases, so the size of the
executable changes insignificantly.

That monolithic library is then linked into a windows dso (.dll) and
can be bound to any 'bigger' program that uses a more complete subset
of the APR.

I don't know if an equivilant build logic exists for unix.  But I don't
know that you want to haul in 10 seperate 'smaller' dso libraries to
load the Apache server, either.

Bill