httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@lnd.com>
Subject RE: [patch 1.3.13-dev] Win9x Services
Date Sun, 11 Jun 2000 02:18:07 GMT
A few of these things concern me... let's dig inline...

But I've knocked off every

 apache -k runservice

It's dead - this is expected.

See the latest set of windows.html, win_service, win_compiling
for what is probably my last set of edits to 1.3.13-dev.

Good to hear.

> Details;
>
> Some more testing on WinNT4, Win2000, Win95, Win98;
>
> Compiled with http_main.c service.h and service.c from the web cvs
> 20000610 2pm +930.
>
> mod_status.c, mod_info.c, mod_rewrite.c, mod_proxy.c enabled,
> PHP as external script processor.
>
> Testing on Win NT4 SP6a;
>
> apache -v
> Server version: Apache/1.3.13-dev-cvs 20000610140000 (Win32)
> Server built:   Jun 10 2000 14:28:17
>
> apache
> apache -i
>   installs default Apache service
> apache -k start
>   runs console
> apache -n apache -k start
>   runs as service
> apache -u
> apache -k stop
> apache -i -n "apsvc"
> apache -i -n "apsvc" -f "\my server\conf\my.conf"
> apache -u -n "apsvc"
> apache -n "apsvc" -t
> apache -n "apsvc"
> apache -n "apsvc" -k start
> apache -n "apsvc" -k restart
>   (when apache was stopped will start it)

The above is an interesting -side effect-, not an intended behavior.
I don't see a reason to make any special provision, however.

> apache -n "apsvc" -k shutdown
> apache -n "apsvc" -k stop
> NET START "apsvc"
> NET STOP "apsvc"
> start and stop from control panel service applet
>
> All of the above worked correctly (served pages, status,
> info, PHP and proxy).
>

> Testing on Win 2000 5.00.2195;
>
> apache -v
> Server version: Apache/1.3.13-dev-service9x.200006091127 (Win32)
> Server built:   Jun 10 2000 13:26:09
>
> apache
>   First impression was that Ctrl-C does not seem to to shutdown
>   Apache, apache -k stop in another dos window closes it down
>   quickly. Further testing revealed that this was due to the new
>   way the command prompt window works, it has a select mode and an edit
>   mode, unless you are in edit mode apache does not get the Ctrl-C.

I don't like this, can someone with VC, 2000 and a little experience with
SetConsoleControlHandler play with this?  I'm expecting that SetConsoleMode
is a little different, perhaps they have changed defaults...  I am seriously
convinced that the console mode support has been frequently changed by M$
to seriously cripple console apps on Win32.

> apache -i
>   installs default Apache service
>   Win2k has a dependencies tab in properties for a service but it
>   does not show Apache to be dependent upon anything (even when started).

I don't like... can you review the registry under the key

HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\services\apache for the depends keys?

I'm suspecting that the tab reflects dependency 'groups', as opposed
to individual dependent apps.

> apache -k start
>   runs console
> apache -n apache -k start
>   runs as service
> apache -u
> apache -k stop
>
> apache -i -n "apache web server"
> apache -i -n "apache web server" -f "\my server\conf\my.conf"
> apache -u -n "apache web server"
> apache -n "apache web server" -t
> apache -n "apache web server"
> apache -n "apache web server" -k start
> apache -n "apache web server" -k restart
>   if there is an syntax error in the httpd.conf file, a restart will
>   give an appropriate error message and leave the existing server running.

This might be the best behavior... at least they don't kill the server
permanantly, and can keep it running till the error is corrected.

> apache -n "apache web server" -k restart
>   (when apache was stopped will start it)

again, a side-effect

> apache -n "apache web server" -k shutdown
> apache -n "apache web server" -k stop
> NET START "apache web server"
> NET STOP "apache web server"
> start and stop from control panel service applet
>
> All of the above worked correctly (served pages, status,
> info, PHP and proxy).
>

> Testing on Windows 95 4.00.950;
>
> apache
> apache -i
> apache -i
>   with an error in the httpd.conf file gives descriptive
> error message.
> apache -k start
>   runs console
> apache -n apac -k start
>   [Sun Jun 11 09:17:45 2000] [error] Service "apac" is not installed!
>
> apache -n apache -k start
> apache -n apache -k restart
> apache -k shutdown
> apache -k restart
>   when stoped;
>   Cannot read apache PID file c:/serverroot/logs/httpd.pid
>   and apache does not start.

This is actually the anticipated behavior.  Nothing in the restart
syntax is ment to imply that restart starts the server if it is
not yet running.

> apache -k stop
> apache -u
>   if already uninstalled gives;
>   [Sun Jun 11 08:20:34 2000] [error] Service "Apache" is not
> installed!
>
> Windows shuts down normally even when Apache is running in
> the background.
>
> All of the above worked correctly (served pages, status,
> info, PHP and proxy).
>

> Testing on Windows 98 4.10.1998; (two different boxes)
>
> apache
> apache -i
> apache -i
>   when already installed gives;
>   [Sun Jun 11 09:43:25 2000] [error] Service "Apache" is
> already installed!
>
> apache -k runservice
>   Cannot read apache PID file c:/serverroot/logs/httpd.pid
> apache -k start
>   runs console
> apache -n apache -k start
> apache -k shutdown
> apache -k stop
> Windows shuts down normally even when Apache is running in
> the background.
> All of the above worked correctly (served pages, status,
> info, PHP and proxy
> including CONNECT).
>
> apache -u
> apache -u
>   if already uninstalled gives;
>   [Sun Jun 11 09:48:38 2000] [error] Service "Apache" is not
> installed!
>
> Windows shuts down normally even when Apache is running in
> the background.
>

> Regards
> Andrew Braund

And a warm thank you to yourself, for all you efforts testing these fixes.